As you know, Ontario appears to be well into the second wave of COVID-19. Health officials predicted this was likely. The authorities want to remind Ontario businesses of the need to screen employees and other “essential visitors” such as contractors, suppliers, janitorial or other such third parties providing needed operational support to the business before allowing them to enter the workplace. This is not intended to be the screening in place for consumers.
Required Screening Questions
1. Do you have any of the following new or worsening symptoms or signs? Symptoms should not be chronic or related to other known causes or conditions.
• Fever or chills Yes / No
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath Yes / No
• Cough Yes / No
• Sore throat, trouble swallowing Yes / No
• Runny nose/stuffy nose or nasal congestion Yes / No
• Decrease or loss of smell or taste Yes / No
• Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain Yes / No
• Not feeling well, extreme tiredness, sore muscles Yes / No
2. Have you travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
Yes / No
3. Have you had close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19?
Yes / No
Results of Screening Questions:
• If the individual answers NO to all questions from 1 through 3, they have passed and can enter the workplace.
• If the individual answers YES to any questions from 1 through 3, they have not passed and should be advised that they should not enter the workplace (including any outdoor, or partially outdoor, workplaces). They should go home to self-isolate immediately and contact their health care provider or Telehealth Ontario (1 866-797-0000) to find out if they need a COVID-19 test.
As this second wave of COVID-19 plays out, and more news will surely follow, the UCDA will keep members informed as the situation unfolds.